Blades Fire Company - Sussex County, Delaware

Local Weather
 
Light Rain 75oLight Rain
Get Forecast
Local Weather
 
Recent Alarms
 
Date:
Tue, Aug 22, 20178:45
Nature:
Medical Emergency
City:
Seaford
Date:
Tue, Aug 22, 20177:04
Nature:
Structure Fire
Address:
215 West 6Th St
Laurel, DE 19956
Date:
Tue, Aug 22, 20172:58
Nature:
Medical Emergency
City:
Seaford
Full Run Log
Local Weather
 

Listen to Live Fireground Operations.

Listen Now
Volunteer
 
content-image
Find Out More
HISTORY

Blades Volunteer Fire Company the First Fifty Years

At a company meeting on December 13, 1949 it was decided to get each fireman their own equipment which consisted of helmet, coat and boots. The company voted and agreed on this matter.

With the desire to advance their firefighting skills the firemen wanted to have a school at their firehouse on fighting fires. A motion was made and passed at a meeting in June, 1950 to give the state notice of having this school so that other companies may attend.

Bingo made its way in November 1951 as a Fund Raiser to the Fire Company. It was also decided to purchase 100 new chairs for Bingo use.

With Bingo being held on Monday nights the Company had to change their meeting nights to the Second Wednesday of the month starting in January, 1952. At their May meeting Joshua Hare was elected President and James Knowles elected Chief.

October the Company held their First Fire Fund Drive Blitz for apparatus and took in $230.00 for the month.

December 12, 1952 the Fire Company joined the Delaware State Fire Chief’s Association. With the May,1953 elections Joe Emory was elected President and Paul Burton was voted to be the next Chief. On June 17, 1953 they hosted its first State Fire Chief’s Association meeting.

May, 1955 elections saw John Booth being elected President and Chief of the Company.

The Fire Service in Blades during 1956 would change forever as the Company decided to provide Ambulance Service to the Town and their fire district. It took time to purchase and stock the ambulance. It was decided in October the first ambulance was approved for purchase for a price of $250.00, also a resuscitator was purchased. John Booth was elected as the First Ambulance Captain. January, 1957 a stretcher was bought for $42.00 complete. Uniforms for the ambulance crews are to be rented. The First Ambulance Fund Drive was approved in September and by November $410.00 was raised. The first television was bought for $213.00 with the antenna to be installed by B.F. Goodrich.

February, 1958 the fire company hosted their first Fire Police Meeting, in March it was decided to purchase a siren for each of the three fire policemen. During the year it was also approved to purchase the Fire Police their first uniforms. Mr. Joe Jackson was given his 25 year member watch and Mr. Albert Neal was given a $100.00 war bond.

To honor the service and contributions from the company members it was decided at an April meeting that each member obtaining 25 years service would receive a watch and that others would obtain service pins for 5,10,15, 20 years of service.

Displaying 3-3 of 9 Pages
< 1 ¦ 2 ¦ 3 ¦ 4 ¦ 5 ¦ 6 ¦ 7 ¦ 8 ¦ 9 >